University Transfer Guide

An overview of the transfer process to a public state university


Transferring from a Florida public community college to a public state university is a process protected by the Statewide Articulation Agreement 6A-10.024. Your rights as an associate in arts graduate are protected under this agreement. However, as a student, you also have responsibilities.

The following steps require action on your part for transferring to be successful.

  1. Identify a major (as soon as possible);
  2. Identify a transfer institution (as soon as possible);
  3. Know the admission requirements to the selected university including course prerequisites;
  4. In the case of a limited-access major, identify any special admission or course requirements;
  5. Complete requirements (listed above) while attending Florida State College at Jacksonville;
  6. Complete all of the requirements for the A.A. degree; and
  7. Complete the admission and application process as required by the university.

This transfer guide is an overview* of the transfer process. Check with any campus advising office for more information.

 Take the Next Step!

Click here to apply!

Apply Now

Don’t forget to submit your residency declaration! The Residency Declaration form can be found in your MyFSCJ account under the Tasks tile in your Student Center.

Complete Residency

Submit your official high school and college transcripts.

Submit Transcripts

Submit your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and FSCJ Scholarship Application.

Complete FASFA

Get set-up for the right classes! Learn more about placement options.

Complete Assessment

Set-up an appointment with academic advising today to get registered for classes.

Make Appointment

Record of Contacts
IMPORTANT: For each contact with the transfer institution, keep a written record of the name of the person to whom you talked, date and the type of request. Keep a copy of all emails, faxes and letters you send and receive. You many want to consider sending correspondence by certified mail. Make sure any recommendations for course requirements are in writing.

Admission Requirements
Check with an FSCJ advisor to see if you meet the admission requirements for the university and also the college/school of your major within the university. It is possible to be admitted by the university but not the college within the university. In some cases, the university cannot process the application of an A.A. graduate if the student has not declared a major on the university application. Some majors are defined as “limited access” and have additional requirements (e.g., minimum GPA above 2.0, CLAST test scores, etc.).

Prerequisite Courses
Some majors have required prerequisite courses for admission. Check to see if you have completed the prerequisite courses for the major you have planned. Not having prerequisite courses will block your admission into some programs or lengthen your time to degree completion.

You are encouraged to visit the university prior to applying. Check with the office of admission to visit the campus.

Deadline for Admission Application
Complete and submit the admission application during your sophomore year in the community college (or when you have earned 45 credits toward your AA degree). The application should be submitted at least six months prior to the term you plan to enter. There is an application fee which is non-refundable. Many limited access programs may have a separate application and/or deadline.

Have original official, unopened transcripts from all institutions you have attended sent directly to the university’s admissions office. If you are enrolled now, be sure to send a final transcript at the end of the term.

Financial Aid/Scholarships
If you plan to obtain financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA form. You must have a financial aid transcript for each institution you have attended sent to the transfer institution’s financial aid office. Review the availability of transfer scholarships by visiting the transfer office website for the selected university.

If you want housing on or off campus, contact the university housing office for assistance. A separate application and deadline may apply. Apply early; housing spaces are limited.

If an orientation program is offered, plan to attend. This will help you to schedule courses, register and learn the academic policies.

Academic and Registration Policies
Check out the academic and registration policies and procedures; they are usually different from those at the institution you are currently attending. Be aware of drop, grade, withdrawal, repeat policies and continuous enrollment requirements.

For some programs in dance, music, theater and art, an audition or portfolio may also be required.

Continuous Enrollment
As long as you maintain continuous enrollment, as defined by the university you plan to attend, your requirements are those specified by the catalog under which you enter, or you may meet the requirements of the current catalog.

Early in the process, select your major and the university to which you plan to transfer. Make an appointment with an FSCJ advisor to learn about course and admissions requirements. Indecision can jeopardize admission to the university. If you are undecided on a major, see an FSCJ advisor early.

Some majors are “limited access” and have requirements in addition to the A.A. degree. You must meet these requirements BEFORE being admitted into the major.

Need Assistance?
The transfer office can be a valuable resource as you go through the transfer process. This office can get through the internal university offices more easily and get answers faster than you can.

Caution – Transfer Without an A.A. Degree
If you’re considering transferring to the university before you receive your A.A. degree, check the requirements to without an A.A. degree before you transfer. Please read about the Advantages to Transferring with an A.A. degree.

(Provided by the State University System)

  1. Students transferring with an A.A. degree from a Florida public community college have a better chance of completing a four-year baccalaureate degree with a higher grade point average than students transferring without an A.A. degree.
  2. All courses with satisfactory completion taken to meet A.A. requirements are protected under the provisions of the articulation agreement and will automatically transfer. This is not true of students without an A.A. degree.
  3. No additional general education courses are required when transferring with an A.A. degree.
  4. Community college students transferring without an A.A. degree may be required to attend summer school.
  5. Scholarships are available to community college students who transfer to a university with an A.A. degree.
  6. Completing the A.A. degree at a Florida public community college is usually less expensive (tuition and fees) than completing the A.A. degree at a public state university.

Transferring With an A.A. Degree

In the state of Florida, students transferring with an A.A. degree are protected by a State Articulation Agreement 6A-10.024 which guarantees the transfer of all credits taken to satisfy the A.A. degree. See your Student Bill of Rights.

Student Bill of Rights

Florida State College at Jacksonville associate in arts graduates are guaranteed the following rights under the Statewide Articulation Agreement (State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.024):

  1. Admission to one of the eleven universities, except to limited access programs which have additional admission requirements.* However admission to the student’s preferred public postsecondary institution or program is not guaranteed.
  2. Acceptance of at least 60 credit hours by the state universities,
  3. Adherence to university requirements and policies, based on the catalog in effect at the time the student first entered a community college, provided the student maintains continuous enrollment, (as defined in the university catalog)
  4. Transfer of equivalent courses under the Statewide Course Numbering System,
  5. Acceptance by the state universities of credit earned in accelerated programs (e.g., CLEP, AP, PEP, Dual Enrollment, Early Admission and International Baccalaureate),
  6. No additional general education core requirements,
  7. Advance knowledge of selection criteria for limited access programs,
  8. Equal opportunity with native university students to enter limited access programs, and
  9. The state universities will honor all grade forgiveness awarded under the A.A. degree. Should any guarantee be denied, students have the right to appeal. Each state university and community college shall make available established appeal procedures through the respective articulation officers.


Should any guarantee be denied, students have the right of appeal. Each state university and community college shall make available established appeal procedures through the respective articulation officers.

*Note: The student still has to meet requirements for LIMITED ACCESS programs and/or requirements of a college within the university. In some cases, the student may have to be approved by the college before the university will grant admission. Limited access is the designation given to programs that require additional admission requirements, which are more selective than general admission requirements. These additional admission requirements may include the following: increased total GPA and test scores; additional courses and prerequisites; and auditions or portfolios. In such programs, selection for admission is competitive. The selection and enrollment criteria for limited access programs have been established and are published in the institutions’ catalogs, counseling manualsand other appropriate publications. Community college A.A. transfer students have the same opportunity to enroll in university limited access programs as university students.

Students may apply to a university without earning the A.A. degree. In addition to completing the admission application and submitting transcripts, they need to be aware of the following requirements.

Note: Priority admission is given to A.A. degree graduates. Some universities accept only a limited number of students without an A.A. degree.

Applicants who have attempted fewer than 60 semester hours are required to:

  1. Meet the minimum freshman admission requirements of the university including the submission of ACT or SAT test scores;
  2. Have at least a 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average (GPA) on all college course work attempted. Some universities may have a higher GPA requirement;
  3. Have at least a 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average (GPA) on all course work attempted at the last institution attended (some universities may have a higher GPA requirement); and
  4. Meet the CLAST requirements (with or without an A.A. degree)

In addition, students should be aware that items below may result in a loss of credits or a need to take additional credits. Because each institution sets its own policies, check with the university before you transfer without an A.A. degree.

  1. General Education Requirements (GER)
  2. Gordon Rule (Gordon rule courses must be passed with a grade of C or higher).
  3. Transcript evaluation (except for common course numbered courses)
  4. Forgiveness (repeated courses) - Some universities may require an additional placement exam even though you may have completed a course. Course placement may be determined by the test, not the course work.

Academic advising is supported by the division of undergraduate studies.

Students transferring with more than 60 hours (without an A.A. degree) will experience some of the same problems as students transferring with fewer than 60 hours (with regard to general education requirements, Gordon Rule, CLAST, etc.). Students transferring with the statement “general education course requirements have been met” indicated on the community college transcript (without an A.A. degree) will have satisfied the general education requirements for the public state university, however depending on the program or major, additional lower level courses may be a prerequisite to the major.

Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida

The State Board of Community Colleges has signed an articulation agreement with the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF). The Agreement establishes the provisions for the transfer of Associate in Arts degree students into private colleges and universities. The Agreement guarantees that community college Associate in Arts degree students will enter as juniors, receive 60 credit hours toward their bachelor’s degree and receive recognition for the general education core taken at the community college. Twenty-six independent colleges and universities in Florida have recognized this agreement.

State University Websites

Note: When preparing for transfer to a state university, please review the university’s Transfer Student Counseling Manual, rather than the catalog. This manual is designed to assist transfer students from the Florida public community colleges. You will find a list of course prerequisites needed for transfer. The university catalog is designed for students who began at the university as a freshman.

More Information

The Florida Department of Education has informative brochures on making the transition from a state college to a university as smooth as possible.

Note: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view/print PDF files.