FSCJ’s Stepping Stones Program was created to provide accelerated career-related training and personal soft-skill development and strategies to qualified high school graduating seniors from the greater Jacksonville area, specifically in low-income, high-needs schools who are unsure where they should go next in their journey. The innovative workforce and employment initiative gives students a clear plan to help them achieve their personal and professional goals and earn one of four different credentials within specialized industry certificate tracks:
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program is designed to equip students with important health care concepts and the professional career development skills necessary to help patients perform basic tasks within a long-term care, acute care or rehabilitation facility. The CNA program introduces students to the basic skills necessary to become a professional and competent member of a patient’s health care team. This comprehensive program includes classroom training, simulated laboratory exercises, hands-on experience and a CNA exam prep boot camp.
The CompTIA™ A+ Certification is a critical first step in opening the door to your IT career, providing students the essential skills needed to start a career working within the industry. CompTIA™ A+ Certification is vendor neutral and internationally recognized, giving students a competitive advantage no matter where their career takes them and the hardware they use. Upon completion of the program, students will be given vouchers to take two CompTIA™ certification exams (CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902).
Working toward one of two focus areas in the Supply Chain Management industry certification, students will learn the principles and strategy of supply chain management and the purpose and function behind customer service operations.
Program participants will focus on building knowledge and skills training in Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) and HAZWOPER. The manufacturing program gives students hands-on training that prepares them for careers in many areas including shipbuilding, paper mills, power plants, aerospace, automobile manufacturing and construction.
Selected students will spend the summer after their high school graduation working toward industry certification while also earning an attractive stipend. Participants have the opportunity for job placement and continued guidance toward further education and career advancement upon completion.
- Free transportation
- A stipend that will allow you to focus on your studies
- Industry recognized certifications that can be applied toward earning employment and degrees
- Mentorship from FSCJ faculty and staff, and leading industry partners
- Soft skill development such as time management, career and financial planning, goal-setting and critical thinking/problem solving
- Academic support through small class sizes, advising and tutoring
- Financial aid/scholarship assistance
- Student Success Advisor/Coach who will help you stay on track and provide guidance on furthering your studies to enhance career opportunities
- Job Placement Coordinator who will assist with career placement in your field of study