The Associate in Science (A.S.) in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree program's mission is to educate, train and develop students for career-oriented positions as managers and leaders in the dynamic hospitality industry’s diverse array of businesses. This program provides students the foundation needed to build a rewarding career in the hospitality and tourism industry, which is the second largest and fastest growing industry in Florida. Educational coursework includes an emphasis on communication, management, human relations and leadership skills. Current job placement rate for this program is 95%.
Upon completion, graduates will have:
- An increased understanding of and appreciation for the history, current operation and future trends of the hospitality industry through class presentations.
- Developed leadership skills, including problem-solving, critical-thinking, communication, decision-making and technical skills as measured by program assessments, including individual and group projects.
- Displayed awareness of budgeting, sales forecasting, and marketing functions, as they relate to the hospitality industry through class projects.
- Presentation and project management skills through participation in written, oral and team projects focused on food and beverage and lodging operations management.
- Earned a ServSafe Manager certification.
- Successfully completed two 300-hour hospitality industry internship programs where they gain college credit and valuable, profitable work experience.
- An understanding of the diversity of hospitality businesses, including the food and beverage and lodging sectors as measured by course assessments.
- Successfully created a food and beverage marketing plan and compared existing marketing efforts of existing businesses in the industry.
Candidates for jobs in this field must have an understanding of accounting principles, good customer service skills and basic knowledge of personnel and operations management. Typical hospitality managers’ jobs include hotel managers, front desk manager, manager of housekeeping or manager of operations.
This program is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA), 203 Morris Street, PO Box 400, Oxford MD 21654 (410) 226-5527 and graduates are eligible for the National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe Manager certification.