Housing FAQs

Do I need to be enrolled in courses at FSCJ to live on campus?

Yes, you must be actively enrolled in at least six credit hours each term to live on campus.


Is there an application fee to be considered for Housing?

No, you can apply any time after your application to FSCJ has been processed. 


What is my room assignment and when will I receive it?

If you are moving in for the Spring Term, room assignments will be made in late September and confirmation will be emailed in October. If you are moving in for the Fall Term, room assignments will be made in late May and confirmation will be emailed in June. Your contract and other important information will also be included in the email. Your Fall and Spring rent must be paid by your move-in date for Fall and Spring new residents, or the first day of classes in Spring for returning residents, to prevent a loss of your assignment. Your building and roommate information will become available prior to the beginning of the term. Please remember that if you are assigned to a room at 20West, you will need to submit a $200 nonrefundable housing fee to secure your space. Instructions on paying the fee will be included in your assignment information.


Who is my roommate? Can I contact my roommate before we move in?

Roommate information and confirmation of your assignment will become available prior to the beginning of the term. The confirmation will have the names and contact information of your roommate(s). We encourage you to contact your roommate(s) before you arrive.


Where do I pay for my housing?

The preferred way to make payments is online through your myFSCJ account. You can also make a payment by check or cash at any Student Financial Services Office on your campus of choice.


I have Florida Prepaid Housing. What do I need to do?

FSCJ does accept Florida Prepaid Housing.


Can I use financial aid to pay my rent?

You may be able to pay all or a portion of your rent with financial aid if you have enough aid posted on your account after tuition and fees. FSCJ Student Housing will automatically defer all or a portion of rent against any posted and accepted financial aid. If there is enough to cover all expenses, you will be cleared for move-in. If there is a portion of the housing rent not covered by accepted financial aid, the portion not covered must be paid before your move-in date. You may not be allowed to move in if you have an outstanding student balance. Tuition and fees must be paid first.   


What does “defer/pend my rent” mean?

Since the housing payment is due before financial aid pays out, if you have enough financial aid posted and accepted financial aid reflected on your account (after subtracting your tuition and fees), you may wait to pay all or part of your rent until financial aid pays out. Only the portion of rent that your remaining financial aid will cover can be deferred. FSCJ Student Housing will automatically defer all or a portion of your rent. The rent balance not covered by financial aid must be paid by your move-in date.


I have financial aid but not enough to cover all of my housing.

FSCJ Student Housing will automatically defer all or a portion of rent against any posted and accepted financial aid that is remaining after your tuition and fees. The portion of rent not covered by financial aid must be paid by your move-in date. Also, if your financial aid does not pay out as initially expected, you may owe an additional amount for rent at the time financial aid is disbursed.


My financial aid is not reflected on my awards screen. How will this affect deferring my rent?

If you do not have any financial aid reflected, we will not be able to defer your rent. You will need to pay your rent in full by the published College drop deadline. It can take 4-6 weeks for FSCJ to be notified of any federal funding you may be receiving. We suggest you complete your FAFSA no later than March 1 for each academic year to avoid this problem.


I’m in verification. What does this mean and how does this affect my housing status?

Each year, the federal government randomly selects about a third of all students to verify the information submitted on their FAFSA. Specific documents are requested to confirm that the information entered on the FAFSA is accurate. You must submit these as soon as possible because your financial aid will not disburse until this process is completed. If you are selected for verification, your myFSCJ Checklist can help you determine the necessary documents to submit.


My financial aid has not paid for my housing yet. What does this mean?

There could be several reasons for this. The best thing to do is to contact an Advising Center on any campus and they will be able to assist you.


My parents pay my bills. Can I have correspondence sent to them?

Correspondence from FSCJ Student Housing is sent to the residents’ FSCJ email address.


Can I see my room before I move in?

While we understand that everyone is excited about seeing their new room, we are unable to show students their specific rooms prior to move-in. It is possible that your assignment could change up until assignment information is released. Although, you cannot see your specific rooms prior to move-in, we do have pictures of the rooms and floor plans available to the public and can be found on our website. Most apartments are identical or similar in style.


How does the assignment process work?

The assignment process matches up students in accordance to gender, hobbies and other requested information. Many aspects play into the assignment process such as date of deposit, class standing and availability of space. Just a reminder: Room assignments will not be based on a student’s race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, veteran status or sexual orientation.


Can I change my assignment before the move-in date?

Assignments may be limited but there will be a deadline provided for changing assignments before move-in date. Assignments cannot be changed after the deadline.


Why wasn't I assigned to my first or second choice room?

The room assignment process is based on the date your completed FSCJ Housing Agreement was received. While not everyone will receive their first choice of residence, every effort is made to accommodate your preferences. Additionally, if you and another student(s) mutually requested each other as roommates, your housing assignment was made based on the date that the last of the two FSCJ Housing Agreements was received.


What happens if I move in and do not get along with my roommate?

We want you to have the best experience possible while living on campus. Before you decide to change rooms, please consider that roommate issues may persist even in a new environment. Your FSCJ 20 West Housing staff has been trained to help you talk about issues affecting you and your current roommate. If you are having difficulties with your roommate(s), please contact your Resident Advisor to discuss mediation procedures. Please remember the demand for housing is high so moving a student out of a room is not always possible.


What is a Roommate Agreement?

A Roommate Agreement is an agreement made between roommates about different responsibilities and needs within the room. It can specify cleaning schedules, sleep schedules or needs regarding lights and music in the room while studying.

FSCJ Student Housing requires all residents to fill out a Roommate Agreement. They are available through your Resident Advisor or on our website. Once they are filled out, a copy will be kept on file with your Resident Advisor and another will be posted visibly in your room.


In advance of my move-in date, can I ship things to the building?

The College cannot accept any package(s) shipped in advance of your move-in date.


Can I remove any furniture from my room?

No. All College-issued furniture must stay in the room. Students cannot move any item out of the room or building. Moving furniture from the lounges into a residential room is also prohibited.


What types of decorations are allowed in the rooms?

Students are allowed to use removable wall mounting products (i.e. Command™ Brand Strips) to attach posters or other wall hangings. Other adhesive products or push-pins are not permitted on the walls or ceilings of the room. Painting the walls or doors of the room is not permitted. Decorations cannot cause any damage or extreme moderations to rooms.


Is smoking permitted in the room?

FSCJ is committed to providing a safe, healthy and enjoyable learning, living and working environment. On March 1, 2013, the College became entirely tobacco- and smoke-free. Smoking and use of tobacco products are not allowed in any indoor or outdoor area, including parking garages, grounds, sidewalks or recreational areas. This policy also includes the use of e-cigarettes.


Can I bring a pet?

No, pets are not permitted. 


I am not disabled, why was I assigned to a handicapped room?

Federal and State law mandate that we provide handicapped rooms in all of our housing facilities. Due to high demand for on-campus housing, we utilized all bed spaces. It is possible for students without disabilities to be assigned to a handicapped room unless this room is needed by a student with special needs.


What furniture will be in my room?

All rooms are furnished with the following items:

Kitchen – refrigerator, stove and oven, microwave, dishwasher, table, chairs, pantry space

Living – couch, chair, end tables, television

Bedroom – extra-long twin, desk, chair, dresser


How large is the bed in my room?

Twin XL


What about the window coverings?

All residence hall rooms have window coverings.


Will I have a bathroom in my room?

Depending on the floor plans you have been assigned, some suites have a room with a private bath and some have two bedrooms sharing a bath.


What should I bring for my room?

For more information on what to bring with you, click here.


Can I bring a small appliance like a coffee maker or refrigerator?

All units come furnished with a microwave and refrigerator. Care should be taken not to overload electrical circuits. Even approved appliances can be dangerous when not used properly. Students should unplug appliances after use and should be especially careful not to leave any approved appliances unattended. (See below for approved appliances.)

Approved Appliances:

Small appliances without exposed heating elements, such as curling irons, blow dryers, sandwich/waffle makers, bread makers, rice cookers, coffee makers, hot pots and crock pots are permitted in student rooms, with proper usage.

All suites have a fully functioning kitchen.

You may also bring a small refrigerator for your bedroom. Only refrigerators that do not exceed 4.5 cubic feet are permitted.  Bedrooms are permitted a maximum of one mini refrigerator.

Prohibited Appliances:

Electric grills (i.e. George Foreman® and other similar products) are NOT permitted.

Any appliances with an open flame, open heating coil or open heating element (i.e., hot plates and coffee coils) are strictly prohibited because they are fire hazards. The following items are strictly prohibited (including, but not limited to): toasters, toaster ovens, hibachis (electric or propane), hot plates, space heaters, electric skillets, soup warmers, s'more makers, electric grills and gas grills.

Deep fat fryers and smoke machines are not permitted.

Charcoal grills are not allowed on campus. Grilling is NOT permitted in any of the housing patios or on any balconies. Lighter fluid is also strictly prohibited and may not be stored or used within the residence areas.


Can I stay in my room over the break periods?

All residents are permitted to stay within their residence during Spring Break and Winter Break.


Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

No. There are dining options on all of the campuses.


Does Housing Staff clean my room?

Once you move into your room, you and your roommate(s) are responsible for the upkeep of your room including the bathroom. FSCJ personnel do not clean individual rooms during the academic year. During extended breaks, FSCJ does preventative maintenance and cleaning in the common areas of the building. All public spaces (lounges, lobbies and laundry rooms) are cleaned on a daily basis by FSCJ Personnel.


Where do I do laundry and how much does it cost?

The building has one laundry room per floor. There is no charge for residents to do laundry.


How do I submit a Maintenance Request?

Facilities maintenance requests can be reported to your Resident Assistant or emailed to housing@fscj.edu


What do I do if I lose the key to my room/suite?

If you do not have your room key, please contact campus security or visit the front desk. Lock-out fees and card/key replacement costs apply. 


How can I appeal the move-out charges or other fees?

To appeal a fee, you must email your request in writing to housing@fscj.edu


Is there a curfew is the residence building?

Although there are 24-hour courtesy hours, FSCJ does not impose a curfew on the residents. In general, between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. are quiet hours, to respect those who would like to sleep. During final exam weeks, we have 24-hour quiet hours, during which it is expected for students to be mindful of those studying around them.


I have a disability. What do I need to do?

If a student has a disability that requires a change in room accommodations, we encourage the student to contact Student Support Services at (904) 997-2527.


Is parking provided?

Onsite parking is not provided by FSCJ. Students may park at the FSCJ Downtown Campus for free. The distance between Downtown Campus and 20 West Housing is less than one mile. Each car must have a valid FSCJ parking permit on display to park on campus. Permits are available at the Downtown FSCJ Security Office. FSCJ has also worked to identify local parking garages. Parking garage rates range from $40-$90 per month and must be arranged by the student.


How do I apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA)?

RA applications for each year are accepted in the Spring Term. It is suggested to have lived within the residence for at least a year before applying, although first-year students may also apply (to be an RA during their second year). It is also suggested that prospective RAs get involved within their community.


Is there security within the building?

At a minimum, security officers are on campus sites during normal business hours and whenever classes are scheduled. Police officers supplement College security officer staffing. They have offices on every campus and center. They do periodic patrols of the campus grounds as well as inside the College buildings, including 20 West.


If I have other questions, whom can I call or email?

You can contact us by calling (904) 632-3026 or email housing@fscj.edu.