Split Sessions for Degree-Seeking Students

Florida State College at Jacksonville offers split sessions referred to as “accelerated sessions” by the DVA. This means the DVA will accelerate pay status in proportion to the rate of the split sessions. A full-time course load will be different for students enrolled in the split sessions. For this reason, you should check with the veterans affairs office to be sure of the actual rate of acceleration.

For example, a student enrolled in the full fall semester (16 weeks) will need to have 12 (S) credit hours or more in order to be considered full-time.

The number of hours needed to be full-time for the school and financial aid purposes may differ from the VA hour requirement as well. Be sure to check with the financial aid office and the registrar’s office on their credit-hour requirements for full-time.

Note: Vocational pay hours are not affected by split sessions. Pay is based on the number of clock hours attending per week.


All changes made after your initial application or certification are forwarded to the DVA Regional Office and should be brought to the attention of the veterans affairs office so the change can be reported. The most common changes are noted below:

This applies to those students utilizing Vietnam Era GI Bill ® benefits and vocational rehabilitation. These groups of veterans receive an additional allowance for each student.

Changes can occur when:

  1. A dependent child reaches the age of 18. If the dependent child is still in high school or is enrolled in college, the veteran may continue to receive an allowance for that child. This requires the veteran completes and submits a 21-674 form available through the veterans affairs office.
  2. A child is born. If this happens, you will need to submit a certified true copy of the child’s birth certificate immediately.
  3. A divorce occurs. The veteran will need to submit a certified true copy of the divorce decree.
  4. A dependent dies. The veteran will need to submit a certified true copy of the death certificate.
  5. A veteran marries. You will need to submit a certified true copy of the marriage license.

If you should move during your enrollment at Florida State College, you will need to change your address with the records office and the veterans affairs office. Changing your address with only one of these offices will not automatically change your address with the other. This change requires two forms, both available from the enrollment services office.

Should you decide to change your major, you should be aware there are school and VA forms to complete. The College's program change form is available from the enrollment services office at your campus. The veterans affairs office will then ask you to fill out a VA form 22-1995 or 22-5495. Exception: Chapter 31 veterans must contact their vocational rehabilitation case manager.

This occurs when you drop a class(es) or are dropped from a class(es) by the instructor. Most often, the veterans affairs office will receive notification, but there are occasions it does not. You should notify the VA office immediately.

Should it become necessary for you to withdraw from all classes, you should contact the veterans affairs office before doing so. There are many concerns you should be aware of before withdrawing completely.

Anticipated change in place of training: If you are transferring from Florida State College at Jacksonville, you should notify the enrollment services office as soon as possible.

Failure to report changes constitutes fraud and is the primary cause for delays in the delivery of your educational checks and occurrences of overpayment. Changes may be reported to the veterans affairs office in person or by telephone.

GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about educational benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.