Before Applying for VA Educational Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) requires each applicant for VA educational benefits be formally accepted to an approved curriculum (degree or program) before initial certification can be sent to the DVA.

Formal acceptance is achieved by completion of the following:

  1. Admissions application (this should be completed and submitted before any other steps are taken).
  2. Submission of official high school transcripts, official copies of GED® test scores or adult high school diploma.
  3. Submission of official transcripts from all other colleges attended.
  4. CPT/TABE placement test. CPT, for college placement. TABE, for vocational certificate programs.
  5. Meeting with a counselor for plan of study preparation.

GED® and GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education (ACE). They may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of ACE or GED Testing Service. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license from the American Council on Education.