At FSCJ, we are committed to your success! Through First Year Experience (FYE) programming, events and the FYE course, Strategies for the Pursuit of Knowledge (IDS 1107), you have all the resources and connections you need to achieve your goals at FSCJ.
As a first-time-in-college student taking IDS 1107, you will:
- Begin exploring your educational and career goals through course assignments and out-of-class learning opportunities
- Meet with an academic advisor who will work collaboratively with you to create an academic degree plan
- Learn how to adapt and succeed as a college student
- Benefit from free college resources such as tutoring, Student Support Services and Student Life and Leadership events
- Grow personally by making connections with faculty, staff and students
Mission and Vision
First-Year Experience (FYE) at FSCJ provides new students and new transfer students a college-credit course and related programming to facilitate their success in higher education. FYE connects students to academic and co-curricular resources, programs and opportunities both on- and off-campus. FYE empowers students to design an intentional plan for their academic success and personal well-being.
FYE will prepare students for a successful transition to college and integration into FSCJ.
FYE Course Requirement
All incoming Associate in Arts (A.A.) students are required to take Strategies for the Pursuit of Knowledge (IDS 1107) within their first 15 hours at FSCJ as part of their First Year Experience.
If you are an A.A. student who transferred to FSCJ with more than 15 credits and have a 2.0 GPA or higher, or have successfully completed an SLS/IDS course (SLS 1103, SLS 0005 or IDS 1107), you are not required to take Strategies for the Pursuit of Knowledge.
For registration assistance, please speak with an academic advisor.