For Immediate Release: April 15, 2020
Contact: Jill Johnson, (904) 632-5016
FSCJ Launches Stepping Stones Program to Support Career Pathway for High School Seniors
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) is launching a new workforce and employment initiative, Stepping Stones, to give graduating high school seniors a clear plan to help them achieve their personal and professional goals. Stepping Stones will serve students from the greater Jacksonville area, specifically in low-income, high-needs schools who are unsure where they should go next in their journey.
Through accelerated career-related training and personal critical soft-skill development, participating students will work toward employment in high-wage careers with room for advancement.
Specialized industry certificate tracks include:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- CompTIA™ A+ Certification
- Supply Chain Management (SCM Principles; Customer Service Operations)
- Manufacturing (Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) and HAZWOPER)
Benefits to participating students include:
- Accelerated tuition-free program that can be completed online during the summer
- Free transportation
- A $2,000 stipend
- Industry-recognized certifications that can be applied toward earning employment and degrees
- Mentorship from FSCJ faculty and staff, and leading industry partners
- Soft skill development such as time management, career and financial planning, goal-setting and critical thinking/problem solving
- Small class sizes
- Individualized advising and tutoring
- Financial aid/scholarship assistance
- Job placement support
Following program completion, Stepping Stones will also continue to assist participants as they progress in their career and education.
For students and guardians who are interested, live Q&A sessions are being held daily via Zoom between Monday, April 20 and Friday, April 24, 2020, at 3:15 p.m. To learn more, visit fscj.edu/ssp.
Known as “the community’s college,” Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) exists to provide valuable, high-quality learning opportunities to anyone with the desire to enhance themselves through the pursuit of higher education. Serving more than 45,000 students and awarding more than 6,000 degrees and certificates on an annual basis, the College plays a significant role in supplying the region’s employers with a highly skilled, educated workforce.