At the beginning of every new calendar year, many people are eager to set goals and make life changes. Unfortunately for most, the best intentions are often met with roadblocks and resolutions end up altered or even broken.
Here are eight tips that may help:
- Avoid making multiple, extreme resolutions. Begin with making one change at a time and write it down to hold yourself accountable.
- Make a plan for success. Do some research to find out what resources you will need to help you achieve your goals.
- Allow yourself to adjust when you meet bumps in the road so you will be prepared for the next challenges as they arise.
- Pick a start date and prepare yourself by allowing yourself to rest.
- Recognize your successes and allow yourself a reward (within reason).
- Keep track of your progress to better visualize your path to success.
- Enlist the help of a friend or family member to motivate you and support you along the way.
- Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T.: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely.