The holidays are quickly approaching and so are opportunities to let your healthy habits slide. Below are some simple tips to help you, your family and friends enjoy a healthy and guilt-free holiday season:
- Limit fat and sugar in recipes. Opt for low-fat ingredients whenever possible. Replace heavy cream with fat-free half and half. In place of one whole egg, use two egg whites. Use white wine for broth or sautéing instead of oil.
- Exercise when possible. Speed walking at the mall while carrying shopping bags and cleaning for house guests are some simple ways to burn calories.
- Pay attention to what you drink. Alcohol can lessen inhibitions and induce overeating. Non-alcoholic beverages may be full of calories and sugar. Stay hydrated with water.
- Indulge but don’t overdo it. It’s all about making smart choices. Snack smart and watch your portions. Don’t eat to please people. Stop when you are satisfied.
- Wash your hands often and make sure you get your flu shot. While traveling and spending time with family and friends is great, you may be exposed to extra germs that could ruin the party.
- Make time to rest. In what’s often the busiest time of year, rest is key in staying happy and healthy.