Degree and Certificate Programs
Preparation for Specialized Employment
Florida Community College provides a number of educational programs of less than two years duration for which technical certificates are awarded upon satisfactory program completion.
The technical certificate is an intermediate step toward the associate in science degree in the particular area of study. Students can then build upon that technical certificate to accomplish the A.S. degree.
In order to be awarded a technical certificate, students must have met the following requirements.
- Earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) on all courses attempted at Florida Community College.
- Completed the required courses as set forth in the College catalog or as approved by the assistant dean of the area.
- Students who place into college preparatory courses are required to complete designated college preparatory courses with a grade of “C” or better regardless of program of study.
- Completed at least one–fourth of the total hours required for a certificate in residence at Florida Community College. Before students may graduate, they must have fulfilled all financial obligations to the College.
- Graduation dates will be the date at the end of the College term in which students complete the academic requirements for the degree or certificate for which they are applicants. (The removal of an incomplete grade does not affect students’ graduation dates, since the grade change is effective at the end of the term in which the incomplete grade was assigned rather than the term in which the incomplete work was made up.)
- If students expect to complete the coursework under the terms of the catalog in effect during the term of their first registration, they must graduate within five years or they will need to be reassigned to an active catalog. Accordingly, students who enter under this catalog (2007-08) must graduate by the end of the Summer Term 2012, or they will be required to consult with their academic program to determine the appropriate active catalog placement. Changes to requirements as mandated by law or by rule of the Florida Community College District Board of Trustees may supersede this provision.
Advanced Technical Certificates
Advanced Technical Certificates are designed for individuals who have already completed a degree (at least an associate degree) and are seeking advanced, specialized preparation in a particular career field to supplement their degree. Florida Community College offers Advanced Technical Certificates in a few limited career areas in which advanced training beyond the associate degree level is needed.