Florida Community College at Jacksonville wave logo
Florida Community College at Jacksonville logo

navigation bullet  General Admissions
navigation bullet  Enrollment Procedures
-  College Credit
-  Certificate Program
-  Adult Studies
-  Continuing Education  Students
navigation bullet  Registration
-  College Credit
-  Certificate Program  Students
navigation bullet  Tuition and Fees
navigation bullet  Financial Aid
-  FAQ and Answers
navigation bullet  Admissions Contents
navigation bullet  Catalog Contents
return to 2002-03 catalog table of contents


Financial Aid

Florida Community College offers many types of financial assistance to students who would otherwise be unable to further their education without such support. Depending on the type of aid, eligibility is based on one or more of the following criteria: financial need of the individual (in the case of dependent students family need is used), educational costs, academic achievement, availability of funds, disability and/or special talent. Inquiries regarding financial aid should be directed to the Enrollment Services Office on your home campus. Your home campus is your point of contact for academic advising, financial aid advising and disbursement of checks.

It is your responsibility to. . .

  • apply early for financial aid assistance
  • submit all required forms and documentation
  • use financial aid wisely and for educational and related expenses only
  • complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year

Applying for Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine eligibility for federal financial aid, state aid and institutional scholarships. Students should apply early, preferably before March 15 each year. The application is available at local high schools, campus Enrollment Services/Financial Aid Office or on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The application is to be completed by the student and the student's family and mailed to the address on the application or transmitted via the Web. It is strongly recommended that students apply online to reduce errors and expedite processing of the financial aid application. Once the application is processed, the results of the federal analysis are sent to the schools listed on the application. The student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Students may also be required to submit additional documents to their home campus Enrollment Services office.

Financial aid is not automatically renewed each year. To continue receiving financial aid, students must reapply each year. As financial circumstances change from year to year, the award amount may be different each year. Financial aid is awarded for the academic year and credited toward tuition and fees each semester.

Types of Financial Aid

The Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) are two of the largest federally funded grants and are based on financial need.

The state of Florida administers the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship program. Students are selected and notified of eligibility by the Florida Department of Education's Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG) is a need-based grant awarded by the Florida Department of Education to full-time students.

Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are low interest loans provided by an approved lender. The subsidized Stafford loan is awarded based on need. Interest is paid by the government while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time. The unsubsidized Stafford loan is available to students regardless of financial need but the interest must be paid while the student is in school or it is capitalized (added to the principal). Loans must be repaid and include interest. Repayment usually begins six months after a student graduates, leaves school or drops to less than half-time attendance.

The Federal Work-Study program is a part-time employment program that provides students with work experience and an opportunity to earn money to help with educational expenses. To receive a work-study award a student must be eligible for financial aid.

Talent Grants pay tuition, fees and a book stipend for students who demonstrate outstanding talent or ability in a specific area. Scholarships and grants provide funds that do not have to be repaid. Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, financial need and/or other criteria. All scholarship/grant applicants must submit a FAFSA each year to apply.

Contact your Enrollment Services office to obtain more information on specific scholarships and grants that may be available.

Qualifying for Aid

To be eligible for federal, state and institutional aid students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Demonstrate financial need (not required for some loan programs).
  2. Have a high school dipoma or high school equivalency degree.
  3. Be enrolled in a college credit program or an eligible vocational program.
  4. Maintain financial aid standards of academic progress in program of study.
  5. Not be in default or owe a repayment of Title IV funds.
  6. Have a valid social security number.
  7. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen with permanent residency status and an alien registration identification number.
  8. Be registered with Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  9. Have not borrowed in excess of loan limits under the Title IV program.
  10. Federal regulations require that students may only receive financial aid for up to 150% of the number of credits required to complete their degree or certificate program.
  11. Must have all requested documents on file before disbursements are made.

Academic Achievement

FCCJ Policy requires students to maintain a 2.0 grade point average. Students falling below a 2.0 may be placed on Academic Warning, Probation or Suspension. Students who are suspended from college are not eligible for financial aid. Students on probation or warning are eligible for financial aid.

Title IV Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students are only allowed to attempt a limited number of hours under federal financial aid guide lines. All students receiving Title IV financial aid funds must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to receive Title IV funds. Academic history is reviewed for all students applying for financial aid, regardless of whether financial aid has been previously received. Students are given a grace period for the first 12 credits attempted. Once the student attempts more than 12 credits, the 67% policy will apply. All students receiving aid must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of cumulative credit hours attempted in order to continue receiving Title IV financial aid funds. SAP will be evaluated yearly, after the spring semester. Students enrolled in one-year certificate or vocational programs will have grades reviewed at the midpoint of their program. (Successfully completed grades: A, B, C, D, S, NG - Unsuccessful grades: NP, U, W, F, FN, I.) Failure to meet these standards may impact the student's eligibility for financial aid and ability to register. Please contact the financial aid advisor on your campus for further information.

150% Rule

Students receiving financial aid will have their aid terminated upon reaching 150% of the number of credits needed to complete their degree or certificate program. This regulation is effective for all students, even those, that have not previously received financial aid. For example, a student working toward an A.A. degree needs 60 hours to graduate. Once the student attempts 90 hours he/she is no longer eligible for financial aid. (60 hrs x 150% = 90 hrs) Under extenuating circumstances the 150% rule may be appealed. The 150% rule applies to all classes attempted by the student, including vocational and transfer hours. Students must make other arrangements to pay their tuition and fees if their financial aid is terminated and they do not appeal or their appeal is denied.

The first 30 credits earned in remedial course work (non-degree credits) will not count toward the maximum credit limit. Remedial ESL credits are not counted toward the maximum credit limit. Transfer credits will be included in the maximum number of credits allowed.

Appeals Procedure

Students whose aid is cancelled may appeal this decision ONLY if there are EXTENUATING circumstances (medical or personal problems). To appeal, the student must complete and return the Appeal Form to the home campus Enrollment Services/ Financial Aid office. ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION MUST BE ATTACHED OR THE APPEAL FORM WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. After reviewing the written appeal and all documentation, the Campus Dean will notify the student in writing with his/her decision. All aid remains cancelled until the student receives written notification that the appeal was approved for the next period of enrollment. The Dean reserves the right to limit the student's enrollment to less than full-time.

Remedial Courses

Financial Aid will not pay for more than 30 remedial credits attempted.


Each year a certain percentage of financial aid applicants are randomly selected for verification as required by the Department of Education. If selected for verification, the student must provide additional information (e.g.: federal income tax return) before financial aid can be awarded.


Title IV recipients who officially withdraw from all classes during the first 60% of the academic term will be subject to repayment terms as outlined by the Department of Education. If disbursement has already been made to the student, it is the student's responsibility to repay all funds due. Federal regulations require a formula be used based on number of calendar days in the term and the number of days attended by the student before withdrawal to determine how much financial aid was "earned" by the student. The difference between aid disbursed and aid earned will be used to calculate how much the student must repay. Information on the Return of Title IV Funds policy is available at each campus Enrollment Services/Financial Aid office.

If the student unofficially withdraws (stops attending) from FCCJ, the college will calculate how much the student owes based on the midpoint of the term. Documentation of an academic-related activity may be used to calculate the last date of attendance.

Students with Disabilities

Eligibility for State Financial Aid

Students with documented disabilities for whom part time enrollment is a necessary accommodation are eligible for State Financial Assistance, including The Florida Student Assistance Grant. This affects students with documented disabilities who are currently enrolled or who desire to enroll in future terms. Additional information is available in the Disabilities Office on campus.


This section provides general financial aid information only. It is accurate as of the date this catalog was printed, but is not meant to be a complete list of all financial aid regulations. If financial aid standards of academic progress are changed, the new requirements will supersede those listed in this catalog. Florida Community College reserves the right to cancel or amend financial aid awards based on a change in funding or other reasons specified by federal and state regulations.

Veterans Affairs

Veterans benefits are a form of student aid awarded to eligible individuals based on their military service. There are currently five programs provided under Title 38 of the United States Code which authorizes payment of educational benefits to eligible individuals.

  • Chapter 30 - New GI Bill - members of the armed forces who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985.
  • Chapter 31 - Disabled Veterans - members having a service-connected disability which entitles them to veteran compensation.
  • Chapter 32 - Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - members who initially entered service after Dec. 31, 1976.
  • Chapter 35 - Survivor and Dependents - sons, daughters, spouses and surviving spouses of veterans who died in service, as a result of a service-connected disability or became permanently and totally disabled.
  • Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve Program - members of the selected reserve who are certified by their unit commander and the VA.

A veterans representative is located in the enrollment services office on each campus to provide forms and information pertaining to educational assistance for veterans. The following action must be taken once the veteran student has been admitted to the College.

  1. Complete the necessary applications at the enrollment services office on any campus.
  2. Provide copies of all DD214's if applicable.
  3. Provide a copy of marriage licenses, birth certificates and divorce decrees, if applicable.
  4. Provide a certificate of eligibility from VA, if available.

Inquiries relating to benefits should be directed to the VA agency that is providing the benefits. Once students have been certified, they are required to notify the campus enrollment services office each time they make a change in enrollment.

Certification Restrictions

The College's veterans affairs office will audit all courses for enrolled students who are eligible to receive benefits. There are restrictions as to the programs and courses for which students will be certified.

  1. Students may only be certified for programs, courses and terms approved by the state approving agency.
  2. The declared program of study must be the same on both the College's record and the student's official Veteran Affairs file. Students must follow the program of study outlined in their graduation status sheet and can only be certified for courses which are required for graduation.
  3. Students cannot be certified for an audit course, a course for which they have previously received credit or the repeat of an "I" grade within one year.
  4. Non-punitive grades will be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs and will affect the previously submitted certification within a given term.
  5. Veteran students must achieve satisfactory academic progress in order to continue to be certified. Unsatisfactory progress must be addressed with an academic counselor before certification can be resumed. Minimum standards of progress are the same as for the general student population. See the section on "Standards for Student Success."

Attendance Policy

Veterans in vocational programs are allowed two days of unexcused absences per class per calendar month. Excused absences are those occurring for the reasons cited hereafter and officially accepted by the director of student aid.

  1. Personal Illness - Must be supported by a physician's signed statement on letterhead stationery, specifying the dates the student was incapable of attending classes.
  2. Death in Family - Pertains to death of a parent, spouse, children, brothers or sisters only. Must be supported by valid evidence that indicates date of death and relationship of deceased person to the veteran.
  3. Jury Duty - Must be supported by a document from the court showing dates of jury service.

Documentation of excused absences must be submitted no later than the 10th calendar day of the month following the month in which the absences occurred. All unexcused absences are reported to the Veterans Administration. Partial days of absence are converted to full days. Veterans reported for failure to attend class will be contacted by the college veterans affairs office. Without a satisfactory explanation and immediate resumption of attendance, veterans will be reported to the VA as having terminated attendance in that course. Individuals reported for excessive absence will be eligible for recertification at the beginning of the following term providing other enrollment criteria are met.

Deferment and Short-Term Loans

One deferment of tuition charges per year is available for veteran students who qualify. The VA deferment due date is determined as follows.

  1. If the term is at least 60 calendar days in length, the obligation must be cleared no later than 60 calendar days from the beginning date of the term.
  2. If the term is less than 60 calendar days, the obligation must be cleared no later than 10 calendar days from the end of the term.

Note: Failure to pay may result in disenrollment.

Special Programs Offering Financial Aid

Tax Credits

The federal government's Taxpayers Relief Act of 1997 (TRA '97) provides new tax benefits to help families meet the cost of post-secondary education. The TRA '97 contains the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit for students in the first two years of post-secondary (college and vocational) education and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit for other students. Because each person's tax situation is unique, students interested in these tax credits should consult their tax advisor to determine eligibility. More information can also be obtained by calling the IRS at 800.829.1040 and asking for IRS publication 970 or logging on to the IRS Web site at www.irs.ustreas.gov or U.S. Department of Education Web site at www.ifap.ed.gov.

back to top arrow


© Florida Community College at Jacksonville