Florida Community College at Jacksonville wave logo
Florida Community College at Jacksonville logo

navigation bullet  General Admissions
navigation bullet  Enrollment Procedures
-  College Credit
-  Certificate Program
-  Adult Studies
-  Continuing Education  Students
navigation bullet  Registration
-  College Credit
-  Certificate Program  Students
navigation bullet  Tuition and Fees
navigation bullet  Financial Aid
-  FAQ and Answers
navigation bullet  Admissions Contents
navigation bullet  Catalog Contents
return to 2002-03 catalog table of contents


Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Most Commonly Asked Questions


I attended college credit classes at FCCJ several years ago. Do I need to complete another application for admission?

No, check with the campus enrollment services office to update your records and prepare for registration.

What is the difference between degree seeking and non-degree seeking?

FCCJ offers three kinds of college credit degrees for degree seeking students - the associate in arts (A.A.), the associate in science (A.S.) and associate in applied science (A.A.S.). Students who want to transfer to a four-year college or university pursue an AA degree. Students who want to obtain a degree in a specified area of expertise pursue an AS or A.A.S. degree. Non-degree seeking students are not trying to earn a degree. They may be taking classes for work advancement, to transfer credit back to another college or for personal enrichment.


Where do I have my transcripts from another institution sent?

Have them sent to: Florida Community College, Student Records Office, 501 W. State St., Jacksonville, FL 32202-4030.

How do I get a transcript sent to another institution/ employer?

The easiest way to request a transcript for another academic institution is to do so online at Artemis. Transcripts can also be requested by faxing your request to 904.633.8304 and including your signature, social security number (or student ID number), and the address where you want the transcript sent. Or place your request, in person, at your nearest campus Enrollment Services office.

Financial Aid

Where do I go for information on financial aid?

Contact the enrollment services office on the campus you plan to attend.

Does FCCJ provide scholarships for students?

Yes, contact the enrollment services office on the campus you plan to attend.


When is college-credit registration?

Refer to the dates listed in the class schedule (available in the campus enrollment services office).

May I register if I haven't gotten my transcripts from another institution/high school/Navy/etc.?

It's not a problem, if it's your first term enrolling. But if they are not received by the end of the term, you cannot register for subsequent terms. In this case, you will be notified and will need to continue to follow-up until all of your transcripts have been received. You may not qualify for financial aid, however, until all transcripts are received and evaluated.

May I register at one campus for classes at another campus?

You may register for any class at any campus; you can also do this online or by Touch-Tone telephone. (See the special section in the class schedule.)

When is the last day to register?

Refer to the class schedule or check with the campus enrollment services office.

When does the term start and end?

Refer to the College calendar listed in the catalog.

How can I get a catalog? An application? A class schedule?

You may pick one up at any campus enrollment services office or call 904.646.2300.

Distance Learning

What is distance learning?

Distance learning includes courses which you take online and courses which you take via cable television.

How do I register for a distance learning class?

Register online, on campus or on the phone.

Where do I get my books?

Textbooks are available at any campus bookstore.

Where do I take my exams?

Most online classes feature exams online, as well. Telecourses and some online classes require you to come to campus for testing. Details will be covered by your instructor.

What if I miss an episode of my telecourse?

If you miss viewing them at their regularly scheduled time on cable TV, you can view them at the learning resources center on any campus.


How long do you have to live in Florida to be considered a resident?

You must live in Florida 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes to qualify as a resident.

If my spouse is in the military, do I qualify for in-state tuition?

If your spouse is stationed in Florida on active duty, you and your dependents qualify for instate tuition.

Drops and Cancellations

How do I drop a class in order to obtain a refund?

The easiest way to drop a class is online. You may also drop courses on campus or by Touch-tone phone. All drops must be completed by the drop deadline.

When will I get my refund?

You will receive your refund within four to six weeks. Checks are not processed until after the drop deadline. If you paid with a charge card, your card will be credited, otherwise you will receive a check.

When is the last day to drop a class?

Refer to the College calendar listed in the catalog.

My class was cancelled. How do I get my refund?

Refunds are mailed automatically unless you register for another class in its place.


How much do books cost?

Books vary in price, but $25 per credit hour is a good benchmark.

When does the bookstore buy back books?

This varies from term to term; check with the bookstore.


Is there a parking fee?

Parking is included with your tuition.


Who can I contact if I don't know what to do to resolve a problem?

Contact a counselor or adviser within the campus student success office. They are specially trained to answer such questions and to help you obtain the assistance you need.


What must I do when I am ready to graduate?

Students completing college credit and work force development programs should apply for graduation at the beginning of the term in which they will complete the program requirements.

back to top arrow


© Florida Community College at Jacksonville