FCCJ Logo  

2000-2001 Catalog

Tips for Success and Answers to Questions

Prepare for Success

A Checklist of Hints

There are a few things that you can do to help your college experience go more smoothly for you. Check off the following items as you complete them.
  • Walk around the campus and find out where your classes will be meeting. This will keep you having having to hurriedly look for them the first day of class and risk being late.

  • Locate the nearest parking lot to your classes and save time by parking there. Parking lots are crowded at the beginning of the term, so get there early to get the spot you want.

  • Check the bus schedule if you aren’t driving to school, and make sure you can make connections to get to your first class on time.

  • Keep your book receipt and don’t mark in your books, so if you end up changing your schedule, you can return those books.

  • Be on time for class. First impressions count with instructors, so you might even want to be a little early. Try to sit in the center and front, so you can see what is written on the blackboard. And remember to take notes. Instructors can go over some important information that first day that they may not mention again.

  • Study the class syllabus. The syllabus outlines class activities for the term, the name of the textbook, any special projects or assignments, the instructor’s attendance policy and grading policy and due dates for tests and other assignments. It’s important that you get a copy of the syllabus for each of your classes and that you are there when the instructor reviews it. If you don’t understand something, that’s the time to ask questions and get things straight.

  • Accept the fact that you’re likely to feel some anxiety about beginning your college career. This is a natural feeling, shared by your fellow students and one that can be minimized by adequate preparation.
Most Commonly Asked Questions


I attended college credit classes at FCCJ several years ago. Do I need to complete another application for admission?

No, check with the campus enrollment services office to update your records and prepare for registration.

I don’t care anything about receiving credit for my class. Do I still have to complete an application?

Yes, then you may enroll and audit the class.

What is the difference between degree seeking and non-degree seeking?

FCCJ offers three kinds of college credit degrees for degree seeking students — the associate in arts (A.A.), the associate in science (A.S.) and associate in applied science (A.A.S.). AA students who want to transfer to a four-year college or university receive an AA degree. Students who want to obtain a two-year degree in a specified area of expertise receive an AS or A.A.S. degree. Non-degree seeking students are not trying to obtain a degree. They may be taking classes for work advancement, to transfer credit back to another college or for personal enrichment.


Where do I have my transcripts from another institution sent?

Have them sent to: Florida Community College at Jacksonville, Student Records Office, 501 W. State St., Jacksonville, FL 32202-4030.

How do I get a transcript sent to another institution/ employer?

Fill out transcript request forms in the campus enrollment services office. If you are going to another college or university, transcripts can be requested by phone.

Financial Aid

Where do I go for information on financial aid?

Contact the enrollment services office on the campus you plan to attend.

Does FCCJ provide scholarships for students?

Yes, contact the enrollment services office on the campus you plan to attend.


When is college credit registration?

Refer to the dates listed in the College credit class schedule (available in the campus enrollment services office).

May I register if I haven’t gotten my transcripts from another institution/high school/Navy/etc.?

It’s not a problem, if it’s your first term enrolling. But if they are not received by the end of the term, you cannot register for subsequent terms. In this case, you will be notified and will need to continue to follow-up until all of your transcripts have been received. You may not qualify for financial aid, however, until all transcripts are received and evaluated.

May I register at one campus for classes at another campus?

You may register for any class at any campus; you can also do this by Touch-Tone telephone. (See the special section in the College credit class schedule.)

When is the last day to register?

Refer to the College credit class schedule or check with the campus enrollment services office.

When does the term start and end?

Refer to the College calendar listed in the catalog.

How can I get a catalog? An application? A class schedule?

You may pick one up at any campus enrollment services office or call 646-2300.


What are telecourses?

Telecourses are a form of independent study broadcast on cable television. Each lesson is shown at least twice a week. Students come to campus three to four times during the semester to take exams. A copy of the current schedule can be picked up at any campus enrollment services office.

What kinds of telecourses are offered?

Courses are listed in the College credit class schedule, and are available in the enrollment services office at all campuses.

How do I register for a telecourse?

Apply and register just like any college credit class.

Where do I get my books?

Textbooks are available at any campus bookstore.

Where do I take my telecourse test?

You can take the test at the campus where your instructor is located or at an alternative test site. (Call your professor for alternative locations.)

Where do I view the videotapes for my telecourse?

If you miss viewing them at their regularly scheduled time on cable TV, you can view them at the learning resources center on any campus.


How long do you have to live in Florida to be considered a resident?

You must live in Florida 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes to qualify as a resident.

If my spouse is in the military, do I qualify for in-state tuition?

If your spouse is stationed in Florida on active duty, you and your dependents qualify for in-state tuition.

Drops and Cancellations

How do I drop a class in order to obtain a refund?

Complete a drop card before the deadline listed in the FCCJ catalog. You may also drop classes by Touch-Tone telephone if it is during the telephone registration period.

When will I get my refund?

You will receive your refund within four to six weeks. Checks are not processed until after the drop deadline. If you paid with a charge card, your card will be credited, otherwise you will receive a check.

When is the last day to drop a class?

Refer to the College calendar listed in the catalog.

If I miss the drop deadline, can I get my money back?

Obtain an appeal form from the dean of student affairs office on your campus to request a refund, if you feel the circumstances warrant it.

My class was cancelled. How do I get my refund?

Refunds are mailed automatically unless you register for another class in its place.

Why was my class cancelled?

Usually a class is cancelled when too few students enrolled in that particular class.


How much do books cost?

Books vary in price, but $15 per credit hour is a good benchmark.

When does the bookstore buy back books?

This varies from term to term; check with the bookstore.


Where do I get a parking decal?

Decals are available at the campus security office.

Where do I pay my parking fine?

Pay it in the campus business affairs office.


Who can I contact if I don’t know what to do to resolve a problem?

Contact a counselor or adviser within the campus student affairs office. They are specially trained to answer such questions and to help you obtain the assistance you need.

| Catalog Contents