FSCJ’s Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) provides an approved alternate certification route for individuals who are passionate about child development and want to become teachers. Curriculum is designed to prepare individuals to become Florida-certified teachers by covering critical topics for early child education in kindergarten all the way through grade 12 classrooms. Courses focus on developmentally-appropriate practices for classroom management, addressing state standards in lesson planning, using technology for learning, instructional strategies and more. Students gain hands-on experience through a short-term field experience and long-term internship. Courses are offered online or as a hybrid of online and face-to-face meetings for flexibility.
At the completion of the education program, students will have the knowledge needed to earn the Florida Department of Education Professional Educator Certificate in their area of interest.
This program is approved by the Florida Department of Education.
EPI Admission Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university (degree should not be in an education field)
- Passing score on the General Knowledge Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE)
- Passing score on the Subject Area Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE)
- Statement of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education
- Pass background check
- Official college transcript
- Interview with an EPI representative
- Submission of Residency Affidavit Form
- Submission of completed EPI application