On November 15 and 16, the FSCJ Student Government Association (SGA) visited Tallahassee to meet with legislators and advocate for their peers during the Florida College System Student Government Association (FCSSGA) November Legislative Conference.
Leading up to the Conference, the students worked with FSCJ leadership to educate themselves on recent legislation and current College goals and initiatives to prepare their points for discussion with legislators from Duval County and Nassau County.
They shared personal stories and spoke on various topics including how capping baccalaureate degrees will negatively affect our students and the community's ability to maintain a well-educated workforce, the need for restoring the funding cuts made to the Florida College System in 2017, funding needs for student support services such as mental health programs and the FSCJ Downtown STEM Center.
The attending students included (pictured above from left to right):
· South Campus SGA Chair Linda Morales
· Collegewide SGA President Nadia Esha
· Downtown Campus SGA Chair Katerine Deras-Ramero
· North Campus SGA Chair Shelby Galligher
· Kent Campus SGA Chair TaNasha Parker
· Collegewide SGA Vice President Drew Patterson